Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Reading, Reading, and more reading

Reading, reading, and reading……. Never enough time to read.

My new glasses prescription came in last week and my eyes have adjusted quickly.  Not even one headache this time.  I think that's a first.  I was in the 3rd grade that it was discovered that I needed to wear glasses.  Apparently, I could have used them as early as the 1st grade according to my teacher.  Glasses are a very special blessing to me.  Without  them all of you look fuzzy, very fuzzy.

Currently, I am reading 3 books.  That’s sounds crazy but for me that is not unusual.  I have books on my Kindle Fire and real books that I can touch and smell (yes books smell special).    My mood dictates which book I choose to read on any given day.    I should clarify that the three books are outside my scripture study/pondering which is something I do regularly.

Elizabeth Smart, My Story  – just completed that on my Kindle Fire. You can check out my review on Amazon.  It was certainly a serious book about a serious and frighten subject.  Elizabeth Smart was only 14 when she was abducted.  Many times while reading the book my mind would stray to the question – what would I have done if that had happened to me at that same age?   Surviving that ordeal and now helping others shows how strong she is.  Human trafficking is a global problem and it is very apparent that we all need to step up and do more.  

American Sniper – I am half way through the book.  It is a window into a world I can only imagine.  I’ll review it when I finish.   What happens to men and boys and their loved ones during war is serious business and tragic at times.  The human spirit can overcome a great deal but certainly at a high price.

Charles Krauthammer -  His book is a compilation of his columns.  Thoroughly enjoying this book.  He is someone I greatly admire.  It is the type of book you can pick up read a few columns and put down for a while.  I can make the experience last longer this way and that’s a good thing.

So…….. after all the serious books, I am now reading a fluff book that just makes me happy – a British murder mystery.  I love it for the change of pace.

But….. the next book is extra special, Becoming Omegan.  I have downloaded it to my laptop.  My sweetie has written a book (see shameless promotion:  http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/becoming-omegan/16636190 )

It is a work of science fiction and even if you don’t think you like science fiction I believe you will enjoy his book.  Can't wait to get started....... Read on.

1 comment:

Grampa' Jim said...

Thank you sweetheart, I will try to catch that last book for my summer reading list!