Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Fall, Thanksgiving, and More

When the leaves begin to turn to gold, yellow, and red, I know the Earth is planning for my favorite time of year.  It is a short season, as seasons go, but perhaps that is part of its appeal.  It doesn't stay long enough for us to get tired of it (like Summer and Winter are prone to do).

Roasted Corn on the cob, funnel cakes and bagpipes - it doesn't get much better than that.  The 42nd Annual Stone Mountain Scottish Highland Games were successful and great fun.  This year we were entertained not only by the big, burly guys in kilts tossing the caber and other things but the ladies have entered in to the games, too.

For the first time in my memory, we had a great view of the opening exercises with the masses bands and honored guests from Scotland.   We had more than 350 members of pipe bands from all over the Southeast.  Lots of good memories flow every year about friends made and friends who have died.   The entertainers are always lots of fun and very talented.  This year I made a request for the tune Wagon Wheel.  The group Stonewall from Northern Ireland had sung it in the hotel lounge a couple of years ago and I remembered that everyone sang along and had a really fun time.  They were gracious and sang it for me and introduced me to the crowd.

My Alabama friends, JASPER COAL returned and rocked the house or perhaps the woodlands with their traditional Celtic fusion rock sound.  The sound reminds me of the beginning rock and roll and it appeals to me greatly but I still love the traditional sound as well.
We are all very much aware that Alex Beaton is not able to attend due to his physical condition since his fall a few years ago.  He was a main stay of the SMHG but now he struggles.  When I listen to his music I can see him performing and laughing and bring joy to all his fans.  He was so funny when he sang THE SCOTSMAN SONG.

On another subject:
Today is election day and the main event is the creation of new cities in Georgia.  We have been drawn (literally) into the LaVista Hills City and we are voting NO.  In my next blog, I will let you know if we out voted them.  It is hard to get people to turn out for elections in non-presidential years.

No comments: