Friday, February 1, 2013

Random Thoughts for a cold winter day

Random Thoughts - That was the name of the monthly newspaper column I wrote long, long time ago for a little Neighborhood newspaper.  Unfortunately, my career was short lived when the paper went out of business.  It was fun while it lasted.  Somewhere in the attic is a box filled with copies of the newspaper with my column.  Some day I have to look for those papers.  It should be fun to read them after all these years.

Since this is about my Random Thoughts, I have to talk about the fact that we are really tired of being sick with colds, flu, coughing and generalyl not feeling up to par off and on since Thanksgiving.  That has been 2 months of exhausting and tiring sickness.  We have both had antibiotics and steroids but it is a persistent thing.  Maybe we will be better by Spring!

Book reports...Just finished The God Who Weeps by Terryl Givens and Fiona Givens.  To quote Robert P. George, Princeton "A work of theological reflection that has much to offer intellectually and morally serious men and women of every religious persuasion."   After reading this book, I felt I had a better understanding of why God weeps for us.  He loves us so much.

I am about mid-way through Eben Alexander, M.D.'s book PROOF OF HEAVEN- A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife.  So far in my journey through the book, I can't wait to get to the next chapter.  Dr. Eben Alexander's near-death experience (NDE) is a little different from some other NDE books but I haven't finished yet so I'll bet the best is still to come -  I'll let you know when I finish it.

Denny's M&M Orange man has become a member of the family.  We decorate him for all special Holidays and occasions.  He stays in the Family room because Denny won't let him stay in his room.  Speaking of Denny's room, Dennis painted Denny's bathroom and it looks so good.  Bright and beautiful. We have to look for new curtains now.  

My grandson, Aaron, will have his Eagle Court of Honor this month and we are so proud of him.  He is a handsome young man.  We will have photos when the event takes place.

This photo with our friend and favorite Scottish folksinger Alex Beaton, was made at the Stone Mountain Scottish highland Games the year before Alex's accident that left him paralyzed.  Of course, with physical therapy we are all hoping that Alex will be some day be able to sing again. 


I almost forgot... the Amazon order arrived today with my copy of Rich's: A Southern Institution.  Those of us who grew up in Georgia had a special relationship with Rich's Department store.  It was a special place that is now "gone with the wind".    This book begins the story of immigrant Morris Rich who opened his store in 1867.  Celestine Sibley wrote her own book about Rich's years ago DEAR STORE.  I am happy to say I have a copy of this rare and delightful book.  For all you who love to read....... READ ON!

If I can continue to connect with my own blog, I will blog more frequently in the future.  Thanks to Victoria for helping get back on the Blog this evening. She is the best!

Be sweet,  Sue



No comments: