Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Irish Potato Candy - Happy Patrick's Day!!!

Imagine my surprise to find out that there are NO POTATOES in Irish Potato candy!

After looking at numerous recipes on-line, I phoned my authority on all things Irish - my dear, sweet Mother-in-law. Nancy. She phone her sisters in Philly. In Philly, they make LOTS of Irish Potato Candy for the Hibernian Society. So with confidence, I went forth to the Kroger store and bought my supplies. They are easy to make and delightful to eat. Here is the the recipe:
Butter
Vanilla
cream cheese
confectioners sugar
coconut shredded
ground cinnamon

1. 1/2 stick of butter softened and 4 oz cream cheese softened - cream together in a LARGE bowl.
2. Add a teaspoon of vanilla and a 16 oz box of confectioners sugar. Blend well.
3. Add 2 1/2 cups of shredded coconut and mix
4. Roll this dough into Irish Potato Candy balls (about the size of a walnut or so) I think mine were bigger than a walnut but who cares.
5. Roll the balls in cinnamon
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs or until firm. Keep refrigerated between servings.

My plan is to take this delightful dessert to church Thursday evening. We are having our Relief Society (women's group) meeting so I will dazzle them with my Irish Potato Candy.

Jim wants me to keep the candy at home for him to eat (he has already had 5 pieces - but who's counting). I promised to make more for him really soon because I have all the fixin's now.

I didn't make any Irish Soda Bread this year but I will be doing cornbeef and cabbage because I love it.

I will report on tonight's cubscout meeting, and tomorrow's elementary school activity later.

Until then, just be sweet and know that you are doubly blessed if you are both Irish and Southern,
Sue

2 comments:

JP2E said...

So Miss Daisy drove herself to the store and got all the stuff to make goodies from an import recipe from way up north; that's the definition of irony! HAHA
The candy is great, thanks sweety...

Dottie O said...

When were you first introduced to Irish Potatoes? It's always been around in my life and assume, incorrectly, that everyone knows what they are. They are good aren't they? As for corned beef & cabbage, I substitute ham for corned beef. Probably because I don't know how to cook corned beef well. To me corned beef belongs on rye bread with swiss chees, cole slaw and thousand island dressing (a corned beef special) Your St Patricks Day presentation was wonderful! Take care.